Saturday, August 19, 2017

Weekend at Mt. Romelo (Famy): A personal journal / album // August 19 to 20, 2017

Based on primary sources, Mt. Romelo, commonly known as Famy, is a stronghold of old-school mountaineers (calling themselves "Famyneers").  UGAT was one of the groups who pioneered the establishment of trails.  This is the mother mountain of most senior Ugatans; they started here.  During their prime, they used to be here every weekend, each one has their own place...  establishing new trails, chasing waterfalls, and hanging out with other hikers.  According to Papa Rhey and Paulo, there were times when they are staying here for a week; upon depletion of food supplies, someone will go down to shop in Siniloan Market for replenishment.  
Moving to the registration site.  Papa Rhey and Paulo were already there waiting for us
The first time I've been here was during the outreach of UGAT last December 18, 2016.  The weather then was harsh due to a Low-Pressure Area (LPA).  Despite the continued rainfall, I decided to follow them in Siniloan, after my master class in San Beda.  I became overconfident and didn't make any research regarding the trail.  I thought that it will be a chicken...a peanut... a walk in a park.  As we assaulted the following day, I was shocked! I've encountered a slippy trail full of horse dungs and knee-level mud, far worse than my climb to Mt. Daraitan.  While descending with Wewe, at the back of my mind, I was saying to myself: I will never go back! I will never go back!... But, last August, due to a certain reason, I was cornered by them to climb this mountain once again. ~.~  
------------------------------------------------------------------
Paulo and Papa Rhey were already there waiting for us at the jump-off.  We arrived at around 11 am after we shopped in the marketplace of Siniloan.  
Registration
At about 2 pm, we were still waiting for the brother of Sir Dick to arrive, when Papa Rhey decided to go up to the campsite.  Pot, his other friends and I accompanied him; while Rommel and the others waited for them.
Papa Rhey: The King/Queen of Famy is back and kicking.  I think our last encounter was during the climb at Mt. Pulag.  He is well known to the people of Famy.  From the public market of Siniloan up to the nipa huts of Buruwisan Falls.
Open slopes
Near the campsite
Thick Mud same as before
At the campsite
Campsite.  Good thing that I didn't pitch my tent.  It was raining last night.
At the other side
Playing with Nalgene
Photo Ops
Breakfast
There are several waterfalls connected in this mountain: Batya-Batya, Lanzones Falls, Buriwasan Falls, Old Buruwisan, and many more.  I slept the whole morning at the campsite.  While others were still having fun at about 3 pm, rappelling the 100 ft. Buruwisan Falls, Papa Rhey and I descended back to the jump-off.  Together with the group of Rigor and Alfred, we went back to Manila at 5 pm.  The rear team (Rommel, Trix, Tel, Luisa, Jerico, Balong and Art) stayed at the jump-off for another night (nagwalwal sila dun). 


I'm not sure if this is the Old Buruwisan that they're calling.  The place is near Sapang Labo
One of the many falls
End
-JSC

No comments:

Post a Comment